Vigil honors 13th anniversary of 9/11

Assistant Professor of Military Science Maj. Stephan Walters addresses students and staff in front of Guthrie Bell Tower at a candlelight vigil to commemorate the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Aaron Mudd

Students huddled together against the wind, lighting candles to commemorate an important day in America’s history: Sept. 11, 2001. The vigil wrapped up Thursday’s events, meant to commemorate the day almost 3,000 people lost their lives to 19 al-Qaeda hijackers.

Members of the WKU Redshirts, an all male a capella group, ushered in the somber night of reflection by singing the national anthem.

Lexington junior Gavin Knies, one of the group’s members, was proud to be a part of the vigil.

“It’s something that is good to remember, that (sic.) why we have the freedom that we have, is because of people that have passed away before us,” Knies said.

Major Stephan Walters, an assistant professor of Military Science, addressed the crowd of about 50 people. In his speech, Walters reflected on that day, the more active role women have played in the military since the attack and the generation that was impacted by Sept. 11.

Bloomington, Illinois freshman Allison Wombles was only in kindergarten on that day 13 years ago. She remembers going home that night and seeing planes crashing into the World Trade Center. For the next few weeks, she made American flags and cards at school.

Wombles is now a student in WKU’s ROTC program. Sept. 11 reminds her to appreciate every day.

“I think it proved that…you need to take everyday as it comes and really enjoy everyday and be the best person you can be, cause you never know when something tragic might happen,” Wombles said.