WKU sets program record with seven track and field First Team All-Americans

WKU senior jumper France Makabu competes in the long jump during Saturday at the Hilltopper Relays. Makabu would record a jump of 19-feet-2.75 inches. (Luke Franke/HERALD)

Kyle Williams

The WKU track and field team has set a new program record with seven athletes being honored as First Team All-Americans following impressive performances at the 2014 Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Oregon’s Hayward Field this past weekend.

The Hilltoppers notched 12 total team points, which tied them for 18th place overall with Tennessee. The seven First Team All-Americans are the most since 1973.

WKU finished top five in both the 4×100 and 4×400-meter relays, making them the only non-Southeastern Conference member to do so.

Sophomore Ja’Karyus Redwine, freshman Ventavius Sears, freshman Emmanuel Dasor, senior Chris Chamness and senior Elvyonn Bailey received First Team All-American honors along the way.

In the individual events, sophomore javelin thrower Tomas Guerra finished sixth, while senior thrower Jessica Ramsey notched eighth place in the shot put. Both received First Team All-American honors. Ramsey also placed 14th in the hammer throw, making her the first Lady Topper in program history to secure First and Second Team All-American honors in the same NCAA event.

Senior jumper France Makabu also received an Honorable Mention All-American bid, following her 19th place finish in the triple jump.