Consignment sale benefits Hope Scarves charity

(From Right) Nashville freshman Bri Brewer, Bowling Green freshman Jenna Cherry, and Seminole, Fla., senior Braniagn Lawrence browse clothing at the Treasure Hunt event held at the WKU Faculty House on Friday. The event raised money for Hope for Scarves. (Demetrius Freeman/HERALD)

Trey Crumbie

Students had the opportunity to expand their wardrobes while donating to a charitable cause last week.

Monta Reinfelde, a senior from Latvia, hosted a clothing consignment sale  Friday outside of the Faculty House that raised $36. Reinfelde used the event to both earn money for Hope Scarves, a charitable organization based in Louisville that shares scarves and stories to help reassure cancer-stricken women, and to raise awareness about her online women’s lifestyle magazine, MAG. The publication covers a variety of issues including fashion, travel and entertainment.

Reinfelde said she wants her magazine to be more than just content. 

“We actually want to help women and we thought this could be a really good chance to do it,” Reinfelde said.

New Albany, Ind., senior Katelin Calloway brought some of her old clothes to be sold at the sale. Calloway said she is a fashion designer and likes clothes more than fashion itself. 

“I just love the way things are made,” Calloway said. “I think it’s very interesting in the way that you can help people, especially because most of your designers today, they’re kind of targeted to one specific demographic and I think it’s important to contribute to everyone and not just one person.” 

Bowling Green freshman Jenna Cherry heard of the clothing sale through Reinfelde during Cherry’s sorority meeting. Cherry said as a college student she is always looking to find inexpensive clothing. 

“I just enjoy clothes,” Cherry said. “I like finding cheap deals on cute things that will last a while.”

Nashville freshman Bri Brewer said she is very picky about what she wears. 

“Sometimes it’s classy, sometimes it’s sassy, and then sometimes I like to get like a little sexy and raunchy,” she said. 

Brewer, who bought a maxi dress and a crop top, said clothes can represent a multitude of personas, from a professional business woman to someone who is single and ready to mingle. 

“It’s a form of nonverbal communication,” she said. “You can say a lot with clothes.”