5 things to read this morning

5 things to read

Herald staff

1. In My Skin: Atheist students steadfast in religious environment

Stephanie Campbell wasn’t always an atheist. As a matter of fact, the freshman grew up in the Catholic Church and attended the Catholic all-girls Assumption High School in her hometown of Louisville.

She began to question her religious beliefs during her sophomore year of high school when she took theology classes.

“I just started thinking about what I thought myself versus what I’ve always been told and taken,” Campbell said.

Read the full story here

2. Confucius instructors teach students in Detention Center

Nine days a semester, the Confucius Institute sends instructors to the Warren Regional Juvenile Detention Center to give the students a look into Chinese culture.

“We have a very good relationship with Western,” Rebecca Painter, the Center’s science teacher, said. “They supplement us with the fact that we can’t go out on field trips, so they bring it to us.”

Painter uses her self-proclaimed “Science of Living” class to bring diversity and cultural experiences to the students. Throughout the semester, they have learned of Chinese culture, language, geography and celebrations.

To prepare for their final day at the Center, Confucius Institute interns Tan Suya and Xinya Ma brought in traditional foods to discuss Chinese nutrition. Painter decided the Center’s cafeteria needed a mural, so with nutritious fundamentals and the help of independent artist, Pat Ritter, they got to work on April 8.

“With this cultural experience, you’re helping them develop an appreciation for being different,” Painter said. “It’s teaching them it’s okay to be different. Everybody has challenges, but they embrace their challenges.”

Read the full story here

3. Herald Underground

Sleeper Agent, a Bowling Green band, stopped by the Student Publications basement to play “Waves” from their new album

Watch the video here 

4. Textbook manager retires with environmental concerns

When most people retire, it is usually due to old age. However, Forrest Halford’s reasoning for retiring is quite different.

Halford started working at the WKU Store in 1990. He was originally an optician in Nashville, but took a pay cut to take a job that was closer to his home. Halford said it wasn’t the proximity of the store that influenced his decision.

“It’s the fact that I got two-and-a-half hours of my life back everyday,” he said.

Haflord worked at the WKU Store for more than 23 years. He assumed the position of assistant director of educational materials, or textbook manager, in 1993.

Read the full story here

5. Dry Clean Only: Get back to basics with these style tips

Fashion columnist Kae Holloway dedicates this week’s column to wardrobe basics.

“Good style requires a good foundation. You can be the biggest fashion queen (or khaleesi, as I prefer) at heart, but it just won’t translate without having those casual and dressy essentials.”

Read the full column here