5 things to read this morning

5 things to read

Herald staff

1. Ransdell announces possible $3.1 million budget cut

President Gary Ransdell sent an email to faculty and staff this afternoon announcing WKU is facing a $3.1 million budget reduction and the university’s intent to privatize WKU Health Services.

“We’re looking to balance the budget in everyway possible that saves as many jobs and brings as little harm to the campus as possible,” Ransdell said.

Ransdell said the privatization of WKU Health Services will allow the university to apply the subsidy that was given to WKU Health Services to other areas of the university.

Read the full story here

2. ‘Walk a Mile’ returns to WKU for sexual assault awareness week

It spells out discomfort, wobbly legs, aching feet, scrunched toes, numerous trips and funny reactions from onlookers.

“Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” introduced men to the world of high heels. On Tuesday about 40 men donned their pumps and climbed the Hill as a way to bring awareness to sexual assault.

The $25 entry fee raised money for Hope Harbor Inc., a non-profit crisis center that offers counseling and support to victims of sexual assault. The event, sponsored by the WKU Interfraternity Council, invited any man interested to join in the mile-long trek.

Read the full story here

3. Steak ‘n Shake, Red Zone coming to DSU next semester

The WKU dining roster will welcome a new restaurant to its ranks next semester.

Steak ‘n Shake will set up shop in the Downing Student Union’s food court along with Papa John’s and Chick-Fil-A. 

“We’re going to have hamburgers, chicken and pizza,” Gary Meszaros, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services, said. “You can’t beat that.”

In addition to the food court, Red Zone will be located in DSU as an eatery for students. Red Zone is scheduled to have later hours next semester.

Read the full story here

4. In My Skin: Student identifies outside bipartisan structure

Discussing his concern over the national debt with the word “libertarian” emblazoned across his T-shirt, Morgantown freshman Hunter Peay does not fit the mold of the bipartisan political structure.

Peay, who founded Young Americans for Liberty club at WKU last semester, actively involves himself with and volunteers for the Tea Party movement.

Read the full story here

5. Herald Underground featuring Bear Medicine

Watch the Lexington band’s performance here