University registrar to retire in June

Mackenzie Mathews

After 40 years of service to WKU, University Registrar Freida Eggleton will begin to shift into her retirement.

“I have reached a point in my life where I would like to have a different lifestyle, a simpler lifestyle,” Eggleton said.

As of June, she will have been University Registrar for 28 years. She plans to return in July to work part time as the NCAA academic compliance coordinator.

University Registrar oversees the responsibilities of the Office of Registrar, which includes a wide variety of often high profile activities, such as six commencement ceremonies a year, undergraduate catalog, registration and grading.

The Registrar also works to continue cooperation amongst the various divisions, departments and units around the university. Through her devotion to WKU, she has spent many weekends and extended hours working to keep events and communication in progress.

“It is very demanding in terms of time to keep all of those activities running accurately and efficiently,” Eggleton said. “I would like to have more time to do some personal things.”

Receiving the Spirit of Western Award in 2011 was one of the many highlights of her career. The significant responsibility of coordinating WKU’s unique commencement ceremony was also a rewarding experience for Eggleton and an addition to the list of reasons why University Registrar was her favorite position.

“The thing I like most about it is that the office serves the entire university community – students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public – with all the different tasks that we’re responsible for,” she said.

A national search is currently in progress for her replacement. Applications are due by April 22. The position requires an important orientation to detail, as student records and catalogs must be accurate.

“The person who steps into this role will need to acknowledge that accuracy and integrity of records is of utmost importance,” Eggleton said.

Eggleton graduated from WKU in 1974 and has since worked in Student Housing as the assistant director of what was then Central Hall (now Minton Hall). During this time she completed her Masters, thus beginning her prosperous career with WKU.

She had originally intended to return to Louisville, her hometown, upon graduation in order to pursue a teaching career, but she was approached by the Dean of Students, who suggested the job in Student Housing.

Following her Masters, she became a field representative in the Office of University School Relations, where she worked alongside President Gary Ransdell. The two were responsible for visiting high schools across the state to recruit potential students.

Eggleton went on to be director of New Student Orientation, and for the eight years prior to taking on the role of University Registrar, she was the assistant to the dean of Scholastic Development.

“I have been honored to have been able to serve in various positions at the university following my graduation,” Eggleton said.

Brian Meredith, associate vice-president for Enrollment Management, said he is sad to see her go because she excelled so much in her position. 

“She truly embodies the spirit of WKU,” Meredith said. “She’s an example for registrars across the country and sets the bar very high. I regret to see her leaving, she’s such a great asset to us.”

In an earlier verion of the, Eggleton’s name was misspelled. This has since been corrected.