Steak ‘n Shake, Red Zone coming to DSU next semester

Trey Crumbie

The WKU dining roster will welcome a new restaurant to its ranks next semester.

Steak ‘n Shake will set up shop in the Downing Student Union’s food court along with Papa John’s and Chick-Fil-A. 

“We’re going to have hamburgers, chicken and pizza,” Gary Meszaros, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services, said. “You can’t beat that.”

The Steak ’n Shake menu will be downsized, but will offer burgers, hot dogs, various types of milkshakes and fries. The business’ hours of operations have yet to be finalized.

In addition to the food court, Red Zone will be located in DSU as an eatery for students. Red Zone is scheduled to have later hours next semester.

There is also the possibility that Einstein Bagel Bros could have later hours next semester, depending on how the overnight test-run for the next two weeks turns out. 

“We’ll have to debate what we want to do because Red Zone is scheduled to remain open later next fall…,” Steve Hoyng, resident district manager for Aramark, said.

Trenton sophomore Kaitlyn Barnard, who went to Einsteins on Sunday night, said she visits the store about twice a week. 

Barnard said she was happy that Einsteins will be open later because of the limited amount of places to eat on campus after a certain hour. 

“I think it’s awesome,” Barnard said. “It’s just a nice change-up — especially to go get coffee or something.”

There is also the possibility that YoBlendz in DSU could undergo change. 

In February, Hoyng said that YoBlendz was not hitting its sales mark. If the store’s revenue does not increase, there is the possibility it will be changed out. Hoyng noted that competition from the Fresh Food Company — combined with limited student traffic — could be hurting the company.

“We’re not sure what we’re going to do with it yet,” Hoyng said.