WKU FeelGood works to end world hunger with grilled cheese deli

Kristina Burton

In the center of campus, flanked on all sides by students bustling through, WKU FeelGood aims to help end world hunger by running a grilled cheese deli.

Helen Heines, a Shepherdsville junior, is the president of WKU FeelGood.

“FeelGood is a non-profit organization that’s set up among campuses all across the United States,” Heines said. “We set up grilled cheese delis each week and raise money for our partner organization, The Hunger Project.”

Heines said WKU FeelGood donates their proceeds so all money the organization earns is profit and goes to The Hunger Project.

“[The organization] works with people to put a sustainable end to world hunger — not by giving free handouts, but by breaking down barriers that are keeping people from accessing the food or materials they need to better themselves,” Heines said.

Claire Bellar, a Nashville sophomore, is the membership and education chair of WKU FeelGood.

“I wanted to be a part of something that gives back and I also wanted to get involved on campus,” Bellar said. “It’s cool to be a part of something on campus that has a global effect.”

Lindsay Whittington, a sophomore from Marion, Ill., is the treasurer of WKU FeelGood.

“It’s a great community where we’re all just working together, having fun and helping the world — all at the same time,” Whittington said.

Whittington said a highlight of working at the WKU FeelGood deli is seeing someone eat their first grilled cheese.

“We’ve had a lot of that recently with the international students,” Whittington said. “It’s so great to see their faces and that expression when they eat their first grilled cheese. They’re just so happy and full of cheese.”

Whittington said FeelGood’s goal for this semester is to raise $2,000.

Heines said she enjoys meeting new people while working at the WKU FeelGood deli and encourages students to become a part of the FeelGood community.

“There can’t be FeelGood without both customers and volunteers,” Heines said.

Bellar said any donation of time or money to WKU FeelGood helps the cause.

“Anything you can do to contribute helps in the long run on a global scale,” Bellar said. “It doesn’t matter if you can’t put in much time. Anything helps.”

Meetings for WKU FeelGood are Tuesdays at 8 p.m. in Mass Media and Technology Hall Room 232.

“Anyone is welcome to join and come learn more,” Whittington said. “We’re always looking for more hands to help.”

The WKU FeelGood deli is set up in Centennial Mall on Wednesdays from noon-2 p.m.

For updates on WKU FeelGood, like the group’s Facebook page, follow them on Twitter @WKU_FeelGood or send an email to [email protected] to get on the organization’s mailing list.