Pike fraternity sanctioned for hazing

Cameron Koch

Pi Kappa Alpha has been found to be in violation of university policy in regards to hazing, as well as violating university policy by knowingly providing false information to WKU Student Activities, according to university documents.

The fraternity will be losing organizational recognition from the university until July 1, 2014, at which time the chapter can petition for reinstatement, provided they have met conditions set by the university, which include a review of membership and signed copies of a “No-Hazing” certificate from each fraternity member, according to the document.

The notice was issued on Nov. 26.

The investigation of the fraternity for hazing began after allegations of hazing were raised during fall break.

Charley Pride, director of Student Activities, said the fraternity losing their organizational status means they can continue to operate, but cannot participate in university-sponsored events.

“They are not able to participate in Greek Week, recruitment — any events put on by us,” Pride said.

Pride said an organization knowingly furnishing false information to Student Activities during an investigation, the other university policy Pike was found to be in violation of, isn’t uncommon.

“Some were truthful, some were not,” Pride said.

Pride said he could not at this time disclose what hazing activities members of Pike were involved in.

Four Greek organizations were sanctioned for hazing last fall. Kappa Delta sorority, Kappa Alpha Order fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity were all cited for hazing and “organizing, sponsoring, implementing or conducting programs or activities which are violations of the law or university regulations,” according to documents provided to the Herald.

Howard Bailey, vice president for Student Affairs, said a Greek organization on average is usually investigated every two or three years.

Bailey said the amount of time it takes to fully complete an investigation of an organization depends on the number of people that need to be interviewed and the severity of the allegations.

The punishment for the organization also depends on the allegations.

“There is no typical punishment,” Bailey said. “Depending on the severity of the violations would determine the period of time that the organization would be suspended for.”