Mainstage season closes with WinterDance

Dancers rehearse as dance fairies during dress rehearsals for Cinderella at Van Meter Auditorium.

Kristina Burton

Essentially everyone knows the story of Cinderella and her Prince Charming.

WKU dancers will bring that story to the stage in WinterDance: A Holiday Extravaganza, which will close the WKU Department of Theatre and Dance’s 2013 Mainstage season Nov. 22-24 at Van Meter Hall.

Other holiday dances are featured in WinterDance, including tap, jazz and modern dance numbers.

Fort Wright senior Jordan Jones, who plays one of Cinderella’s evil stepsisters, said WinterDance was “the culmination of all [their] work, different classes and techniques from this semester.”

“It’s a performance that encompasses all the styles we study here at WKU,” Jones said. “It’s a well-rounded, sort of multifaceted show with lots of different dance.”

Bowling Green senior Hannah Slattery, who plays Cinderella’s evil stepmother, said the anticipation of the upcoming shows has been a definite highlight for her.

“We haven’t had the chance to perform it yet, so there’s just been this excitement leading up to it all semester,” Slattery said.

Lexington senior Adrienne Nixon works as assistant designer on WinterDance.

“I’ve enjoyed being in fittings and working with the actors, seeing how much they enjoy their costumes,” Nixon said. “For example, with Cinderella, when the evil stepsisters come in and get in their foofy dresses, they’re not used to it, so their faces light up when they see what they’re wearing.”

Cincinnati sophomore Alexis Fischer said she is really excited after working all semester with her fellow WKU dancers to make the dances perfect.

“This is our final week to nail it,” Fischer said. “I’m really excited for the show.”

Slattery said she hopes a lot of children who know the story of Cinderella come to WinterDance.

“I hope they are close enough to it that they can enjoy it and feel like they’re watching a fairy tale,” Slattery said.

She said she also hopes for a good amount of energy from the audience.

“We can feel it onstage,” Slattery said. “If the audience is high-energy, we have more energy. I hope there’s a lot of applause, laughter and just a general enjoyment we can feel.”

Nixon said she hopes the elaborate costumes will help tell the story of the interesting bunch of characters in Cinderella.

“We put the evil stepmom in purple and black to give her an evil edge, so I hope that comes across,” Nixon said. “Cinderella’s all-white costume at the end shows how innocent and nice she is.”

Jones said people don’t have to “know” dance to be able to appreciate what they can see at WinterDance.

“Almost everyone is familiar with Cinderella and the other stories we tell,” Jones said. “Everyone can find something to relate to.”

During the Sunday matinee on Nov. 24 at 3 p.m., children ages 12 and under are invited to dress in their best princess or prince outfit and take part in the Princess and Prince Parade across the stage at intermission. The first 150 will receive a coupon for a free Frosty at any area Wendy’s.

Sunday afternoon’s audience will also have the chance to participate in a fundraiser. The WKU student chapter of the National Dance Education Organization will be offering pictures with Cinderella and her Prince Charming after the show for $5. Proceeds will be used to support student travel to the 2014 American College Dance Festival and a study abroad program in Italy.

At each of the shows, the WKU Costume Shop will be selling ornaments made of extra fabric from this year’s Mainstage costumes for $5.

WinterDance: A Holiday Extravaganza will be performed at 8 p.m. on Nov. 22 to 23 and 3 p.m. Nov. 24 in Van Meter Hall. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for students. Tickets can be purchased in advance at wku.showare.com or by calling the box office at (270) 745-3121.