Gamers’ Guild brings together gaming community

Junior Cody Spraggins.

Kristina Burton

As college students, it may seem to some like there is hardly any spare time to have fun in the midst of classes, projects and exams.

The WKU Gamers’ Guild is an organization that allows students to get together, break away from college stresses and do just that—have fun.

James Spraggins, a 22-year-old Hendersonville, Tenn., junior and external guild officer, said the Gamers’ Guild is “a collection of gamers throughout the year that enjoy social gaming and being part of a community.”

Rick Grieve, a psychology professor at WKU and also the Gamers’ Guild’s faculty adviser, said the guild plays a variety of games that range from typical party and board games, to role-playing and card games, to even video games.

“It’s a place for people to get together and exercise leisure time skills, and it’s a lot of fun,” he said.

Grieve said his role as adviser allows him to encourage people in the Gamers’ Guild, making sure they maintain eligibility through WKU and negotiate any conflicts that may arise.

“I also just try to stay the heck out of the way,” Grieve said. “Do what you want to do. It’s the students’ group—not my group.”

Portland, Tenn., junior Dane Will recently attended a meeting of the Gamers’ Guild for the first time.

“I became a regular at the Garrett Table, which is a group of people that sit together and hang out in Garrett Food Court,” Will said. “A lot of them go to Gamers’ Guild, so they mentioned it to me.”

Will said he was starting a new game at his first Gamers’ Guild meeting, so it was kind of a slow start.

“I had never played table-top games before, so I didn’t even know what Pathfinder was,” Will said. “They had to introduce me to all of the stuff, but it was relatively easy to pick up.”

Will said he also hopes to eventually expand and learn about different games that are played throughout the Gamers’ Guild.

Spraggins said a highlight for him was walking in the door at his first Gamers’ Guild meeting and seeing at least 50 people playing various games.

“It blew me away that there were so many people,” he said. “At that point, I was just so surprised, because I came from a town where not too many people formed a group to do anything like that.”

Grieve said a highlight for him has been interacting with the students and seeing the fun they’re having.

“I want to make sure it’s fun because in the big scheme of things, we’re getting together to play games,” Grieve said. “That’s the whole point of it.”

Spraggins said he also hopes to see the Gamers’ Guild expand in the future, both in membership and space, because it’s growing quickly.

Grieve said the Gamers’ Guild used to meet in Downing Student Union before renovations began but has recently had to move to Mass Media and Technology Hall. He hopes once renovations are complete, the guild can return to DSU.

Grieve said he wanted to assure WKU students that although membership is only $5, membership is not required to join in and attend a meeting of the Gamers’ Guild.

“Everybody can come,” Grieve said. “That’s the beauty of it—we don’t really turn people away. Anyone can come and enjoy and have a place to be.”