BOO! Event encourages students to buy local

Lexington freshman Lauren English paints a pumpkin at the B.O.O. event put on by the Horticulture Club and Green Toppers. The pumpkin sale featured painting supplies to decorate pumpkins with free hot chocolate and free apple cider from Jackson’s Orchard.

Kristina Burton

Centennial Mall was overwhelmed with the colors of fall on Wednesday afternoon as the WKU GreenToppers and Horticulture Club held a pumpkin sale called Buy Our Own, or B.O.O.

The event, which originated at the Glasgow Regional Center, was held in honor of Campus Sustainability Day and also to raise money for future events within the Horticulture Club and GreenToppers.

Richmond junior Matt Frazier, president of the GreenToppers, helped out at the event.

“All of the pumpkins were locally grown,” Frazier said. “We really hope this event can encourage people to buy locally.”

Frazier said that it’s important for people to support their local farmers because their jobs depend on outside support.

The pumpkins were grown at and provided by Crooked Creek Farms. Frazier said they were very willing and eager to contribute, and sold the pumpkins to the Horticulture Club and GreenToppers for a cheap price.

Visitors to the event had the opportunity to purchase the pumpkins for $3 each or two for $5, which according to Frazier, is only 20 cents more than the pumpkins sold at Wal-Mart.

Visitors also had a chance to paint their pumpkins and enjoy free apple cider provided by Jackson’s Orchard.

A marker board was also set up where visitors could write their opinions on climate change.

Questions asked on the marker board addressed causes of climate change, how it affects lives, if it’s a valid concern and where visitors had heard about it before. Answers varied from witty comments to serious concern.

Taylor Mill sophomore Eva Ross was helping to promote the Horticulture Club by assisting in selling pumpkins.

“I just hope to promote horticulture more and encourage people to be appreciative of plants and pumpkins and just nature in general,” Ross said.

Ross also hoped the event would spread some fall cheer around campus.

“We’re just trying to have a piece of home for students,” Ross said. “Since most students don’t really go out and buy their own pumpkins, we just wanted to have something on campus where they could put a pumpkin in their room and feel like it’s fall.”

Frazier said that both the GreenToppers and the Horticulture Club plan to host this event again next October.