S.I.S.T.E.R.S. lead sex discussion

Quiche Matchen

Topics like sex can be hard to talk about, especially with a group of people, but one organization is trying to make it a little bit easier.

The organization Sisters Inspiring Sisters to Effectively Reach Success hosted the Sex and Spaghetti event Monday night at the Faculty House.

This is their second year hosting the event, where students can get a free meal and free advice on sex.

Lexington senior Corneshia Jackson, president of S.I.S.T.E.R.S., said the organization supports and encourages women on campus.

“There’s people that come here and they don’t have someone to look up to or have someone to guide them or mentor them on the right track,” she said. “So they tend to either drop out their first semester.”

She said she chose Sex and Spaghetti to reach out to freshmen about sex, but anyone was welcome to come to the event.

“Because when people come to college, sometimes their first (sexual) experience might be here at college or it might not be,” she said. “It’s one of those things that people don’t like to talk about, but I like to bring awareness just to make sure that when you’re out there having sex or anything sex related, to protect yourself.”

Jackson said their goal is to merge this event in with men so the event won’t seem biased.

“It’s a trial and error,” she said. “We just want to see how it goes, and then also have a male’s perspective about sex, and then have him come in and talk about sex, and then have young gentlemen to come in and ask questions.”

Jackson said instead of them talking about sex with the group, they would rather have a professional to answer questions.

The professional they chose was Elizabeth Madariaga, staff counselor and sexual assault service coordinator.

This is her second year answering questions and talking to the group about sex.

“I was ecstatic that they invited me to come,” she said.

Madariaga said she is glad students are willing to talk about sex, body image and issues with women.

“It dispels myths when people ask these questions,” she said. “Because they partly believe it, and I encourage people to talk about it.”

Students can ask their questions anonymously by writing them down on a piece of paper and putting them in a bowl to be answered by Madariaga, or they can raise their hand to ask it aloud.

“This is a safe zone so that no one feels like they’re embarrassed,” Jackson said.

Louisville senior Desiree’ Johnson said Madariaga was very playful with the questions and made it interesting because it wasn’t too serious.

She said she enjoyed the event and went to the one last year.

“It was fun and it wasn’t uncomfortable,” she said. “It was definitely more interesting this year.”