Annual security report shows increase in burglaries

Jacob Parker

The 2013 Annual Campus Security report revealed an increase in burglaries and simple assaults on campus, while reported cases of rape have been cut in half since the previous year.

The annual report is compiled and made available to the public to meet the requirements of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998 and the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Campus Security (Minger) Act of 2000.

Burglary on campus has seen a sharp increase in 2012. After seeing a steady decline since 2009, the number has more than doubled since the previous year’s 32 reports with 65 total reports in 2012.

In 2011, there were only 10 reported cases of simple assault, while 2012 saw this number more than double with 21 reports.

In 2012, there were only two reported cases of forcible rape. This is less than the five cases reported in 2011.

Only one robbery was reported, also down from 2011’s three reported robberies.

DUI arrests have increased since 2010, with 41 arrests made in 2012. However, the number is still lower than 2009’s 52 arrests. Alcohol intoxication violations dropped slightly from 99 in 2011 to 92 last year.

Mandi Johnson, the former public information officer for WKU Police Department, told the Herald last year that football game weekends and tailgating on campus have not contributed to the number of alcohol-related incidents.

“Tailgating has changed drastically over the last few years,” Johnson said. “We no longer patrol tailgating areas. It’s up to HRL and other volunteers to do that. Our arrests for football games have gone way down.”

Larceny on campus has continued to decrease since 2009, with 132 reports in 2012. This is almost a third less than 2009’s 197 reports.

Arrests concerning drug abuse violations continue to see a steady increase with 146 reports from 2012. In 2009, there were only 42 reports and in 2011 there were 129.

No murders, attempted rapes or acts of arson were reported in 2012.