New senators join SGA

Kaely Holloway

New senators for the Student Government Association attended their first meeting of the semester on Tuesday night.

Fifteen new senators were elected last week, with about 500 students participating in the vote.

SGA President Keyana Boka welcomed all new senators during her officer report.

“Congratulations to all the new senators, I encourage you to become active members in Senate,” Boka said.

The senators were sworn in by Chief Justice Seth Church. Senators were made to repeat a vow involving the new senators to follow the Constitution and Bylaws of SGA, and uphold their individual positions.

Updated committee assignments were distributed, now including the assignments of new senators.

SGA also nominated and voted on their homecoming queen candidate. Administrative Vice President Nicki Seay was nominated and ran unopposed, securing the vote and position of homecoming queen candidate.

A bill allotting $300 for the Transcript Voucher Program fund was also approved at the meeting.

The program, which has been in existence for several years, allows students to obtain their transcripts for free instead of paying the usual $7 fee.

The Campus Improvements committee announced it is working on developing a community garden on campus through a partnership with Greentoppers.

It was also announced during the meeting that a retreat for SGA members will be held over the weekend. All members were encouraged to attend.