Study abroad fair spreads the word about international opportunities

Arla O'Neal

Students got a taste of all the international options available to WKU students at the WKU Study Abroad fair, held on Wednesday in Mass Media & Technology Hall.

Sabrina Heinrich, a study abroad ambassador and student worker in the Study Abroad and Global Learning office, informed interested students about the importance of studying abroad.

“You are going to get an experience that you would never get in a classroom at Western,” Heinrich said.

Although WKU offers multiple programs, the most popular programs students have been involved with are the Harlaxton program in England and Semester at Sea, Heinreich said.

“Our number one goal is to get you there,” Craig Cobane, Chief International Officer, said.

There are many scholarship opportunities for which students can apply, Cobane said.

“We’ll get you there,” he said, concerning financial assistance and scholarships for students who apply to study abroad.

Kenton County freshman Max McGehee is a Spanish and international relations major and is thinking about attending the Chinese flagship program over the summer.

“I have a real strong interest in global issues and languages. I’m really interested in studying the culture,’’ McGehee said.

Brownsburg, Ind. Freshman Alec Brown said he wants to student teach abroad, but hasn’t decided where to go yet.

“I am interested in broadening my perspective on the globe,” Brown said.