RA arrested, potential witness to Thomas shooting

Jacob Parker

A former resident assistant is in custody after helping two minors obtain marijuana last week.

Louisville junior Siara Thompson, a former ninth floor Rodes-Harlin Hall RA, was arrested last Wednesday and charged with two felony counts of second-degree unlawful transaction with a minor.

The report states Thompson drove two 17-year-olds who lived on Thompson’s floor to purchase marijuana.

Bowling Green Police Department arrested Thompson after she was identified as a potential witness during the course of the homicide investigation of Larry Thomas, according to court documents.

Detectives were able to establish that Thompson was present in Thomas’s apartment on 2001 Rock Creek Road with the two 17-year-old females before the shooting death of Thomas on Sept. 2. Thompson knowingly helped juveniles purchase half of a gram of marijuana for $10 there, the documents state.

According to Thompson’s arrest citation, Thompson was in Thomas’s apartment at about 10:30 p.m. on Sept. 2. BGPD received a call about the shooting at around 11:17 p.m. the same night.

She is no longer an RA, and WKU Judicial Affairs will handle any further disciplinary actions, Deborah Wilkins, chief of staff and general counsel, said in an email. Thompson’s student status is still pending.

Howard Bailey, vice president of Student Affairs, said if an agency outside of the university police department was conducting an investigation, university staff steps aside until the investigation is complete.

“We want to make sure we don’t interfere,” Bailey said.

As soon as the outside agency completes the investigation, Bailey said the university takes appropriate action as soon as necessary.

If the individual is found to have violated terms of the agreement and student code of conduct, Bailey said appropriate action would be taken.

The section of the student code of conduct referring to drugs states, “Any student with a violation of the Drug Policy while enrolled at the institution may be removed from student housing and/or suspended from the university. Any student who is found to be manufacturing or distributing drugs on or off campus may be suspended or expelled from the university.”

Brian Kuster, director of Housing and Residence Life, said resident assistants are held to a higher standard.

“They’re hired to enforce the policies,” he said.

Kuster said minor issues, such as an RA playing loud music, could be handled internally; but more serious issues such as assault and alcohol or drugs are met with a zero tolerance policy. 

“You can’t be on disciplinary probation and be a housing and residence life resident assistant,” Kuster said.