Memorial held outside PFT for slain student

Sophomore DeVari Dudley, 20, listens as WKU students tell stories at a candlelight vigil for Larry Thomas outside of Pearce Ford Tower.

Quiche Matchen

Tears, laughter and memories were shared as students met outside of Pearce-Ford Tower Monday night to remember Larry Thomas.

Thomas, a freshman, was shot at the Greenhaven Apartments at 2001 Rock Creed Road a week ago today on Sept. 2. He was airlifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville that same night, where he later died.

Thomas was returning to school this semester after he was banned by the university in the spring semester after he was arrested in Pearce-Ford Tower on Nov. 2012 for trafficking a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Candles were placed outside of PFT with Thomas’ name spelled out. Posters were also present with Thomas’ picture on them, along with the words “Long live Larry.”

Students held lit candles as they bowed their heads during a prayer and scripture reading.

Lexington sophomore Kiana Davis organized the memorial service.

Davis said Thomas was one of the goofiest people she knew and that she was like a sister to him.

“I was right there when he was in trouble,” she said.

Davis said Thomas and her were friends for three years and she said he was a very generous and loving person.

Louisville sophomore China Burrus said Thomas was one of her close friends and recalled how the two of them would joke around about their Instagram names.

“No matter how tough life got he always had a smile on his face,” she said.

Shelbyville sophomore Shai Holder said Thomas was like a brother to her.

“We became close before school,” she said. “We started hanging out and my roommate dated him.”

Holder said Thomas bought her an outfit for her birthday and gave her money to “splurge on.”

“We would always do stuff for each other,” Holder said. “The last time I talked to him he was coming back to Bowling Green and I was proud of him that he was making changes in his life.”