Revisions made to previously unconstitutional SGA amendment

Kaely Holloway

Student Government Association called an emergency Judicial Council meeting yesterday to review alterations to a previously rejected amendment.

SGA President Keyana Boka and Executive Vice President Mark Reeves revised the amendment regarding adding an international seat to the Senate.

“It sounds like a dramatic deal, but its just protocol,” Boka said. “It’s any time they meet outside of their regular meeting.”

The amendment was previously deemed unconstitutional on August 29 after the Council came to the decision that it violated WKU’s Non-Discrimination Clause, which states that no student should be discriminated against on the basis of “race, sex, religion, national origin, or a disability.”

The revision altered the phrasing of this senate seat addition by changing the wording from “one international student senator,” to stating “one Navitas or English as a Second Language International student senator.”

“Mark and I revised the international amendment to make it more specific,” Boka said.

This was approved by the Council as constitutionally allowable as it relies on an academic status instead of race, religion, sex, etc.

“All the classifications outlined in the SGA Constitution reference the academic status of the Senator and transferring away from that scheme is a ‘slippery slope’ that cannot be allowed,” The Council said in their approval.

Navitas and ESLI students are enrolled in a separate program before beginning to pursue a degree WKU. As a result of this, they are not included in an academic college or year. This prevents them from being able to run in a Senate election under academic year and/or college seat.

The Council discussed this as a limitation to these students and ensures this amendment will aid in making sure all voices can be heard in SGA.