First day of MASTER Plan concludes with a R.O.A.R.

Incoming Exploratory Lexington freshmen Jack Depreist and Karis Allan make s’mores during Big Red’s R.O.A.R. Monday.

Trey Crumbie

Music blared while WKU students danced and mingled in the Valley in front of McCormack Hall on Monday night during the Big Red’s Roast of All Rivals event, also known as, R.O.A.R. where students turned in their t-shirts from other schools and received a WKU t-shirt in return.

Louisville Graduate Student Sarah Jackson, a graduate assistant for the Student Alumni Association, planned this year’s event. Jackson said that R.O.A.R. is an entertainment event that is used to spread awareness about the Student Alumni Association as well as equip students with school paraphernalia.

“Give them some Western gear,” Jackson said. “Get rid of that rival stuff. Get them some WKU red so they can wear it and sport it around campus.”

Bardstown freshman Travis Pflanz, who attended R.O.A.R., said he thought it was great.

“There’s nothing better than disowning another team’s shirt to bring pride to your own school team.”

Jackson said that this is her first year planning the event. Tori Henninger, assistant director of the Student Alumni Association, normally plans the event, but is on maternity leave so Jackson took over in her absence.

Despite the name of the event, no shirts of rival colleges were burned. Jackson said that the only burning was used to make s’mores.

Blair Silliman, Assistant Director for Housing and Residence Life, who assisted in coordinating the event, said that the shirts turned in would be donated.

“It’s an opportunity for us to support Bowling Green, a great community that supports us,” Silliman said. “We thought that would be a better use of the shirts than burning them.”

Hope House Ministries in Bowling Green, a non-profit organization that helps residents in the Warren County area overcome poverty by providing a variety of services, will receive the 403 donated shirts, Jackson said.

Many side events occurred at R.O.AR., such as a DJ playing live music, a pie your Residence Assistant event, and a red towel hunt competition. Jackson said 10 RA’s got a face full of pie, and that there were 10 red towels hidden around campus and that those who found the towels and returned them would win a free dinner with President Gary Randsell on Thursday night. All 10 towels were found during the event.

Jackson said a dance competition was planned, but was scrapped due to an inoperative microphone. However, the Topperettes, the WKU Dance Team, did select three of their favorite dancers and awarded them prizes provided by HRL.

Somerset freshman Tyler Megargel said he had a good time at the event.

“I think it’s pretty cool. You get to know a lot of new people and getting a free t-shirt always helps,” Megargel said.

Jackson said that she thought R.O.A.R. was an incredible success this year.

“I’m so happy to be able to be apart of it and I’ m ready to do it again next year.”