Grise Hall elevator closed for fall semester

Elliott Pratt

Students who use the elevator in Grise Hall will have to explore other options for the fall semester.

The elevator will have to be replaced and will be out of service for the entirety of the fall semester.

Charles Harrison, maintenance services manager for Facilities Management, said in an email that due to the age of the elevator problems have developed that could potentially be an immediate safety hazard.

“The hydraulic assembly has evolved a leak,” Harrison said. “The leak is in parts that can’t be accessed down in the ground. Right now, we’ve only got 12-13 gallons of oil that we have measured that has leaked.”

Harrison said once the leak was discovered, the elevator was taken offline to prevent further issues that could arise. 

“There was no hesitation in the decision to shut it down,” Harrison said. “Now it’s just a matter of how quick the industry can provide the elevator.”

The deadline for installing the new elevator is Jan. 7, according to Harrison.

Michelle Trawick, associate dean for Faculty and Administration said in an email “we are attempting to identify any students who need the elevator to access floors 3, 4, and 5. If you require an elevator to reach your classes in Grise, please let me know so that we may make arrangements for your classroom to be switched to a handicap accessible room or help you to make other scheduling changes as needed.”

Trawick said only one class has been moved to a handicap accessible floor and that several students have been flexible in changing their schedules. 

A representative from Student Disability Services could not be reached for comment.