Rock 4 Choice event to promote sexual health

Paul Watson

With events like condom races and “fishing for an STD,” as well as live music and frank talk about sex, Thursday’s Rock 4 Choice event is bound to draw some student attention.

Rock 4 Choice, which will be held at the Centennial Mall on Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m., is an event put on by Hilltoppers for Choice.

Glasgow sophomore Justin Crenshaw, one of the event’s coordinators, said the goal is to raise student awareness of the importance of sexual health and sexual choices.

“It’s about sexual health in general,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what your views are on it.”

He said there will be different games and activities at the event.

“There will be something for everyone there,” Crenshaw said.

Jacqueline Adams, a first year master’s student from Bowling Green and coordinator of the event, said the games are an important part of Rock 4 Choice.

“There will be a lot of games to make students and faculty more aware on sexual health,” she said.

Adams said one of the games would be called “fishing for an STD.”

In this game, students will cast their fishing lines into a pool and if they catch a metaphorical STD, the disease’s causes and treatments will be explained.

She said although the event is being put on by Hilltoppers for Choice, Health Services and Gender and Women’s Studies are also involved.

Adams reiterated that the event is for everyone.

“You don’t have to be pro-choice at all to attend,” she said.

Leigh Gaskin, a second year graduate student from Hendersonville, Tenn., and an event coordinator, echoed Adams’ sentiments.

“It’s not so much that it is a pro-choice event, but an educational event for reproductive health,” Gaskin said.

She is also a member of Hilltoppers for Choice and teaches a Gender and Women’s studies 200 class.

Gaskin said many of her students chose to become involved in the project.

“The games and activities are all student planned,” She said.

She said her students wanted to make the event fun, but still informative.

“The activities are meant to help take away the stigmas surrounding this issue,” she said.