COMMENTARY: SGA not true representation of federal government

Suzanne Scott

To say that I was shocked and appalled at the disqualification of Keyana Boka as president-elect for WKU’s Student Government Association would be a severe understatement.  I know that Miss Boka did not intentionally or unintentionally violate any SGA election campaigning rules. That however, is not the main cause of my current disgust with the SGA Judicial Council ruling. I have been under the false impression that I attended an “American University with International Reach” where “The Spirit Makes the Master.” I would think that our Student Government Association would be the epitome of these university mottos. I do not find this to currently be the case. The SGA judicial council has violated one of the most basic rights every American citizen has, the right the 5th Amendment of the United States promises,

“…nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb…”

Many people do not realize it, but Miss Boka was previously tried and found innocent for this exact same offense on Wednesday night of the SGA elections, April 3, 2013. The SGA judicial council was quick to prove her innocent of all offenses during this official meeting held by the personal request of presidential candidate, Cain Alvey. Mr. Alvey himself chose not to attend this meeting. If SGA is supposed to be a true representation of the student body and model the federal government of the United States, the first place they should start is with the Bill of Rights. They should not violate these rights we find sacred and try someone again for their previously pardoned offenses. 

In light of this breech of rights, I do not consider the SGA judicial committee to be aligned with the founding principles it takes for a college to be considered an American University with American Values. 

Mr. Alvey was quoted by the WKU College Heights Herald as saying Keyana Boka’s alleged email “violated the spirit of the election rules.” I find it a more serious offense to violate the spirit of American freedoms and rights that are guaranteed to all citizens. Mr. Alvey may wish to consult his own intentions when it comes to the spirit of the election and wanting to win it the honest way; by earning the respect of his fellow WKU students, which he obviously failed to do. At WKU we believe that the “Spirit Makes the Master.” The person’s spirit who has the student body’s best interests in mind should be entrusted to the SGA presidential office, not the person’s spirit who has to twist the truth to remotely have a chance at achieving such an honored position.  

Suzanne Scott

Henderson junior