University Senate chair discusses Study Abroad, grading system at SGA meeting

Sarah Stukenborg

Mac Mckerral, University Senate chair, came to the Student Government Association meeting on Tuesday to discuss the $150 Study Abroad application fee.

McKerral said he feels students should be able to know where the money from the $150 Study Abroad application fee is going.

“Where is the money going?” McKerral said. “I think we have a right to know that.”

McKerral also announced that the idea of a plus-minus grading system is no new phenomenon, but the resolution has yet to be passed at WKU.

“The discussion of the idea has never ended,” McKerral said. “It’s always been around.”

The Academic Quality Committee’s report on the plus-minus grading system is being reviewed by the Graduate Council and the University Curriculum Committee, two of the University Senate’s standing committees, according to McKerral.

Keyana Boka, executive vice president of SGA, announced to the senate an idea for a bill that would allow WKU students to take guests to the Preston Center.

Boka is working alongside the director of the Preston Center in order to make guest passes available to students in the fall 2013 semester. In order to make this happen, SGA would be funding $3,500.

Cain Alvey, administrative vice president, told SGA members that the teaching assistant evaluations resolution is still up for review by the University Senate.

The SGA senate also passed a bill that will fund the creation of three summer session scholarships. Each scholarship would be worth $353 and will be allocated to students enrolled in one or more summer courses.

The SGA Campus Safety Walk will be held on Tuesday, April 2.