New minor shows students the business side of floristry

Kaely Holloway

WKU students who enjoy creating floral arrangements can put their skills to good use now that there is a floristry minor at WKU.

There is currently only a minor available, but students will now be able to learn the art and business behind floristry, in addition to their existing major.

The process of approving this minor took around four months, as the proposal had to pass through the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, the University Senate and other offices before reaching the Board of Regents for approval.

Roger Dennis, instructor of Horticulture, was encouraged by students to propose this minor. He came up with the proposal and was present at all approval meetings.

“The proposal had to meet university requirements,” Dennis said.

According to the proposal, this 21-hour minor is meant to “enhance majors such as business, horticulture, hospitality management, hotel restaurant management and interior design.”

Students in this minor will learn skills necessary for the retail floral business, with an emphasis in certain areas, such as marketing and risk management.

Deana Cowles, a non-traditional student from Bowling Green, will be including this minor in hopes that it will help with her dream of opening a wedding planning business.

“The classes are really enjoyable,” Cowles said. “There aren’t many universities with this minor, which helps to diversify yourself from others.”

Cowles, having started taking floristry classes before this was approved, only has three classes left to complete her minor in floristry.

“It’s self satisfying and enjoyable work,” Cowles said.

Based on the number of students currently enrolled in floral design courses, 10 minors are estimated for declaration during the first year of the program. It is hoped that number will rise by four, yearly.

Students will be working in the campus floral shop, which runs and operates as a full-service shop. They will work as a part of their class, to better learn the business and work on floral designs.

Classes required cover a spectrum of floristry, including Wedding Floral Design and Greenhouse Maintenance. Some courses are only offered in alternate years or seasons to accommodate new course offerings.

Dennis hopes this minor will make students well-rounded for their particular industries.

According to him, industries, like those in interior design, are not just about decorations. They include floristry and floral designs as well.

“I think it’s great to have this minor,” Dennis said. “This industry is a much older group, and we are wanting to train young designers properly to have their own floral businesses.”