SGA tables plus-minus grading system resolution

Sarah Stukenborg

A resolution was brought up at the Student Government Association’s meeting on Tuesday to support the adoption of a plus-minus grading System.

This grading system would add plus and minus grades for high or low A’s, B’s, C’s and D’s.

The provost at the time proposed a similar resolution in 2007, but massive SGA resistance shut it down.

The author of the resolution, Hannah Garland, feels that the plus-minus system would not create a large lowering of grades and it would just make student GPAs more exact.

“A lot of universities are starting to implement this policy,” Garland said. “In the long run, it might make us more competitive.”

Mac Mullins, public relations committee chair, opposed the resolution because he felt that he wanted a more formal proposal in order to learn more about the resolution, along with getting students’ feelings on it first.

“I would definitely like a chance to talk to more students,” Mullins said.

Most of the senate agreed with Mullins’ opinion, and they motioned to table the resolution.

SGA passed an organizational aid bill to allocate $1,610 at the meeting.

Cain Alvey, administrative vice president, said this was SGA’s first organizational aid bill up for the semester.

“These organizations fit our criteria that we are looking for,” he said.

Of the $1,610 allocated, $330 will go to the Financial Management Association, $280 will go to the Black Student Alliance, $500 will go to the Western Kentucky University National Press Photographers Association Student Chapter and $500 will go to the Reformed University Fellowship.

Alvey announced plans of a bill that will enable SGA to place scantrons and blue books in the library. The bill will be up for a vote at the next meeting.

Keyana Boka, executive vice president, announced that WKU is currently working on a project on Kentucky Street to build traditional-style apartments.

Mallory Chaney, Campus Improvements Committee chair, announced that the campus safety walk has been moved to April, but as of now, there is no set date.

Mullins is working on getting an SGA team together for Up Til’ Dawn, which raises money for St. Jude Children’s Home. According to Mullins, WKU is the second largest collegiate donor to St. Jude in the nation and raised more than $86,000 last year.

“That’s almost enough to run St. Jude for a day,” Mullins said.