Cravens grand opening for the Commons Thursday

Quiche Matchen

Even though “The Commons at Cravens” is already open to students, the grand opening celebration and reception for The Commons is this Thursday at 4 p.m., on the fourth floor of Cravens Library.

Remarks will be given at 4:30 p.m. by Provost Gordon Emslie, graduate student Mark Reeves, President Gary Ransdell and Connie Foster, dean of Libraries.

Construction for the new study area began on Oct. 1, 2012 and ended Jan. 15, 2013.

Foster said the reason for the construction was to attract more students and parents.

The idea for the renovation came from “the desire to transform a tired space into something more functional for student needs and library service changes.”

Foster said this is an exciting transformation for the library.

“Students can work as a group in one of the collaborative booths, sit at a bistro table overlooking the campus, or just BYOD (bring your own device) and plug into one of the stations at the laptop counter,” Foster said in a press release.

Jennifer Wilson, marketing coordinator, said one of the advantages of The Commons area is it’s a one-stop shop.

“Reference support or research assistance, technology support and writing assistance are all going to be housed in this one desk area on the same floor,” Wilson said.

There are 28 computers, which came from the Helms Library computer lab, and around the corner is a printing and copying area.

“There is a collaboration booth area where the old leisure unit used to be,” Wilson said. “We’re very excited to have this one single service point.”

The collaborative booth area will have traveling white boards and dry-erase markers that can be checked out.

“Over the past several months, we’ve been assessing students to better meet their studying needs,” she said.

Students in the renovated arena were impressed by the changes.

Nashville junior Tim Cato said he liked the modern, yet peaceful ambiance of The Commons at Cravens.

“This is definitely my new place to study,” Cato said. “It’s nice to get away from Mass Media and the library, and it’s pretty quiet here too.”

Elsmere sophomore Allison Martin said she is also excited about the renovation.

“I like it because there aren’t a lot of people, and you don’t have to wait to print,” Martin said. “It’s polished, it’s put together and it just seems to flow.”

Martin said she will definitely frequent The Commons.

Nashville senior Jackie Marks said she likes the renovation and it looks “arts and crafty.”

Marks said the renovation was very necessary.

“It’s about time,” Marks said. “It’s very much needed and usually the labs are full.”

She said she’s going to use the group table next time she goes back because the chairs look really comfortable.

“We hope this transformation creates a positive place of possibilities — a place where knowledge unfolds,” Foster said.