LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Entitlement an issue in recent letter about Honors College

Anna Helton

Recent commentators have denounced the Honors College as a less-than-worthwhile experience, claiming that faculty within the Honors College are “unprofessional” and do not give enough attention to students. However, it is unfair to take a few bad personal experiences and condemn the hard work of many dedicated professors, not to mention the many unique opportunities that the Honors College has to offer.

After all, there are only two academic advisors in the Honors College to attend to more than 1,000 students, and the two of them often do more for students than they should. 

Furthermore, Honors is not just more work, and it is not just a line on a transcript. It is a way of life that celebrates scholarship and high achievement. Our advisors are there for guidance, but it is we who make the Honors College a success. Through specialized courses, scholarships, and other opportunities not available to other students, the Honors College often goes above and beyond to facilitate scholarship tailored to students’ professional goals. If you are serious, how can such an opportunity not be “worth it,” no matter what your advising experience may be?

They say that the best thing about being in college is being able to complain about college. However, such broad denunciations hint at an entitled attitude and a misguided sense of what our relationship to the university should be.

No, this is not the way a “business” should be run. But education is not a business and we are not customers.

Anna Helton, 

Bowling Green junior