UPDATED: Taggart discusses WKU students wearing UK blue on campus

Willie Taggart/WKUsports.com

Herald Staff

The following is the question asked of Coach Willie Taggart at WKU’s weekly football media luncheon regarding students wearing University of Kentucky apparel and Taggart’s full response.

Reporter’s question: “I asked (players) about some of the student body wearing blue on campus and if it bothers them. Does it bother you at all?”

Taggart: “Yeah it bothers me any day, not just because it’s UK week, it’s just. (pause) I can’t say that. (pause) It’s just, it’s not good. Whether it’s respect or not it’s just (pause) It don’t make a lot of sense. You know, you wear another school’s shirt, jersey, whatever it is, and you don’t go to school there. That makes no sense at all. Everybody wears it and I hear people ask them why they do it and the reason they’re at WKU is probably they couldn’t get into UK. And then they want to support them, it just doesn’t make any sense at all (pause) I just can’t say that.”

At about 1:45 p.m., Taggart (@CoachTaggart) took to Twitter to clarify and apologize for his earlier statement.

“I have said many times ‘WKU is in my DNA’ and I have tremendous respect for all of our students who attend this tremendous university.

My earlier comments were intended to suggest that WKU students who wear UK apparel this week are not showing allegiance to our (con’t)

athletic program and football team in a week where we need everyone’s support.

WKU students consistently chase greatness and catch excellence, and we are all very proud of that.

I should have stated this more clearly, and I apologize to any of our students who think I may have meant otherwise.

I love each and every one of you! #GoTops #whatsourname”

WKU Athletics Director Todd Stewart said Taggart simply misspoke and that the Toppers’ third-year head football coach loves the university as much as anyone he knows.

“He’s not intending to slight students at all,” Stewart said. “He truly loves our students.

“He and I have had private conversations where he’s referenced how much he loves this university and the students, so that was the furthest thing from what he intended to do.”