AKA’s, Alpha’s “Summer Games” wrap up

Chela Counts

With a themed week modeled after the young-adult fiction novel Hunger Games, the Epsilon Zeta chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority and the Eta Rho Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity have concluded their full week of “The Skee-Phi Summer Games.” 

All of this week, students were invited to participate in a slew of events that ranged from a highway clean-up to a “yard” show.

Jessica Nichols, a senior from Potomac, MD, is the president of the AKA. Nichols said her organization has worked on putting the event together for a long time.

“This is a big week for us and we just wanted to make sure everything was planned accordingly,” Nichols said. “Everyone was put on a committee, did what they needed to do, and it has all come together pretty smoothly.”

Thursday’s “Battle of the Sexes” competition called for guys and girls to compete against one another in events, such as an obstacle course. Winners from each event earned a free ticket to the Yard Show after party. 

Jalyn Savage, from Bowling Green, was a participant and winner in the Battle of the Sexes obstacle course. She said she was happy she came out to support the organizations.

“I came out to support their events and see what they’re about and how they have a good time, and I enjoyed myself,” Savage said. 

But having a good time isn’t just what this Greek week was all about. 

Jamie Sandifier, a member of AKA, said that on WKU’s campus each National PanHellenic Council (NPHC) organization has a duty to continue to engage and inform minorities. 

“Each black-Greek lettered organization host their own week to show that we as students are capable of planning and serving the students all together,” she said “Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority Inc. does represent sisterhood, scholarship and service to all mankind.” 

To conclude the week, the Downing University Center auditorium hosted this year’s Yard show to a standing room only crowd. Audience members waited anxiously to see what each organization had in store for the step-show.

Junior Taneshia Calender, said that this year’s Yard Show was excellent. 

“The show was the best thing this year so far,” Calendar said.  “… I didn’t want to touch my phone to tweet or text, it was awesome,” Calendar says. 

“I’m definitely going to the step-show in October.”