Alpha Tau Omega recharters at WKU

Sarah Stukenborg

The men of Alpha Tau Omega have finally been initiated.

After 23 months of proving to their national headquarters — and to campus — that they deserve to charter, the documents have been finalized to officially recognize the fraternity.

The ceremony took place last Saturday at the Carroll Knicely Conference Center.

Alissa Mansfield, coordinator of student activities for Greek affairs, said the ATO headquarters approved ATO’s petition to charter in August.

Mansfield said the chartering ceremony includes the fraternity being issued its charter.

“A charter is a document issued from a headquarters to a chapter that indicates the group is a full-fledged member of the national or international organization,” Mansfield said.

ATO president Matt Govan, a senior from Gallatin, Tenn., said his organization went through an extensive process  to gain their charter.

“We had to reach a total membership of 45 people, maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and participate in various activities on campus,” Govan said.

The various activities included homecoming, participation in intramurals, and starting a philanthropy, which Govan said helped the fraternity spend time bonding.

“It really opened our eyes to what our fraternity is all about,” he said.

ATO originally colonized on WKU’s campus in 1967. Due to financial problems and lack of members, the fraternity lost its charter.

After 43 years, ATO colonized once again in October 2010. Since then they have established a fraternity of more than 55 members.

WKU graduate Diego Leal Ambriz, the first president of the recolonized ATO, said he flew to Bowling Green from Connecticut in order to attend the ceremony.

Ambriz explained that joining ATO is one of the best decisions he has ever made because it allowed him to grow as a person.

He said he was proud of his brothers for living up to expectations from ATO’s national headquarters.

“Without the support from nationals, our alumni, and the hard work and sweat of my brothers, chartering would not have been possible,” Ambriz said.