High school students get ready for the military

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Senator Rand Paul gives a speech at the Service Academy Information Fair at the Carroll Knicely Conference Center on Thursday.

Quiche Matchen

High school students from all across Kentucky met with Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. Bret Guthrie and veterans at the Carroll Knicely Conference Center on Thursday to get information about different Service Academies.

Paul opened the Service Academy Information Fair thanking students and family for coming out to the event.

“I think it’s a wonderful aspiration whether you serve a full career in the military or something else,” Paul said.

Paul said more businesses want to hire people from the military because they’re disciplined and can expect someone with military experience to show up to work on time and work hard.

High school students that are interested in the military had to fill out an application and send their transcripts with test scores, extracurricular activities, and examples of their leadership skills in their respective communities.

“Seven veterans on our panel and our staff go over the applications,” Paul said. “They narrow it down and then the academy picks.”

Guthrie said well-rounded students are what they’re looking for.

“We make sure that the students’ academics are good especially in math and science,” Guthrie said. “It’s not fair to send someone who isn’t well rounded.”

Guthrie said that he wants students to be open to finding opportunities because at 18 years old he doesn’t feel that they know exactly what they want to do in life.

Paducah senior Ben Kohler said he’s still working on his application but he is eager to get started.

“I’m still working on my application but I’m eager to ROTC at my high school Tilghman,” Kohler said.

Another eager student is Somerset junior Ethan Call.

“I’m excited I’ve always wanted to be in the Air Force,” Kohler said. “I’m also excited about getting a good education and doing what I want to do for the rest of my life.”