Big Red’s Blitz stays strong in program’s 9th year

Bowling Green Humane Society Adoption Counselor, Elizabeth Cooper, talks to WKU students during Big Red’s Blitz Thursday afternoon.

Quiche Matchen

The cheers of WKU students could be heard all across campus as they got ready for Big Red’s Blitz. 

Aurelia Spaulding, Communications and Marketing Coordinator for WKU, said in an email “Big Red’s Blitz is a day of service for MASTER Plan where students can go out and volunteer at different organizations throughout the community for up to four hours.”

The event is a traditional part of the MASTER Plan, and is put on by Housing and Residence Life and the ALIVE Center.

This is the ninth year for the program and has earned a following from students eager to volunteer.

Louisville junior Omega Buckner is a repeat participant.

“I’ve been volunteering for Big Red Blitz since my freshman year,” Buckner said. “My favorite part of MASTER plan is the opportunity to reach out and help whoever I can.”

Lawrenceburg sophomore Caroline McDowell also returned to the Blitz. 

“Getting into this program showed me that there is always something that needs to be done in the community,” McDowell said. 

McDowell said she volunteered for Big Red Blitz last year and will continue to do so. 

After volunteering students returned to campus for a reflection session called “Now What?” where students discuss what they did, why the service was needed, and in what ways can they continue to service while at WKU.

Some of the organizations participating this year include Baptist Campus Ministry, the Bowling Green Humane Society and H.O.T.E.L. Inc.