Board of Regents to consider contracts, new gen. ed. program Friday

Michael McKay

A number of items are set to be approved at tomorrow’s Board of Regents meeting. 

The board will vote to approve the contracts for head men’s basketball coach Ray Harper, head women’s coach Michelle Clark-Heard, and Senior Associate Athletic Director for Communications Todd Stewart. The three took over their positions in the spring.

On the academics end, the board will look at approving five academic programs in the computer science, English, communication disorders, and other departments.

However, the proposed item with the potential to affect future students may be the new general education plan for students coming into WKU for the fall 2014 semester.

The Colonnade program outlines the new required classes for all students to take before they can graduate.

Among changes the new program implements is a new tiered system that would have students complete their required courses by type.

In February, Larry Snyder, associate dean of Potter College of Arts and Letters, told the Herald that the current general education program needed updating.

“The program was not coherent enough as a program. It didn’t function well and was random,” Snyder said. “We couldn’t document consistent student learning.”

A potential update in policy concerning allowing guns to be brought onto certain parts of WKU property will also be addressed.

The Herald will be covering the Regents meeting live at 8:30 a.m. Follow along at @wkuherald on Twitter, and check the wkuherald.com in the afternoon for stories about the board’s meeting.