KD Shamrock Shootout raises $20,000 in 10th year

The 10th Annual Shamrock Shootout presented by Kappa Delta took place Saturday and Sunday in the Preston Center Gymnasium. Proceeds from the event went towards the Family Enrichment Center of Bowling Green. Hoop Yall won the shootout 45-44 over the BAB All Starz.

Hayley Hilbert

The Preston Center basketball courts were full this weekend as Kappa Delta sorority hosted its 10th annual Shamrock Shootout.

The Shamrock Shootout was a five-on-five basketball tournament consisting of 60 teams that began Saturday morning and ended Sunday night.

Teams consisted of students and individuals from the community, said Glasgow sophomore Taylor Emberton, chairperson for the event.

One team, Package Deal, consisted of seven men from Hopkinsville. This was their 10th time playing in the tournament.

“We like playing basketball together,” said Keith Leslie, team member of Package Deal. “We don’t have to worry about stuff when we’re playing. We make a little vacation out of it.”

Emberton, said that she felt the tournament went well this year.

”Everything ran smoothly and the fans and participants were cooperative,” Emberton said.

Louisville freshman and KD Molly Gerrish said that she enjoyed working the Shamrock Shootout for the first time.

“The players were really supportive of the cause but were still competitive about the tournament, which made it really fun,” Gerrish said.

Gerrish said that she hadn’t been looking forward to spending all weekend in Preston, but she got so into the event that she stayed all day both days.

Emberton estimated that the event raised about $20,000, with the proceeds going to the Family Enrichment Center in Bowling Green and Prevent Child Abuse America.

Emberton also noted that WKU students showed a lot of support for the event.

“The student support was great,” she said. “Many students played in the tournament and some came to watch. I’m really thankful for their support.”