WKU recruit Alcantara to make college decision on Tuesday

Eddie Alcantara

Jordan Wells

After WKU target Andre Applewhite announced his commitment to Mississippi State last week, WKU fans have turned their attention to Chicago senior Eddie Alcantara.

Alcantara, a 6-foot-5 forward at Hales Franciscan High School, will announce his college decision at his high school on Tuesday.

His final list includes three schools — WKU, Missouri State and Virginia.

“I’ve got family at Missouri State,” he said.  “I want to go somewhere with a good environment. I know basketball will take care of itself.”

Alcantara visited WKU’s campus on the weekend of April 13-15, saying that he most enjoyed learning about the school’s successful journalism program.

“I’m really into media, especially television production,” he said. “That was a huge factor to me.”

As a junior at Hales Franciscan, Alcantara helped lead his team to the Illinois Class 2A state championship, scoring 15 points in a 61-47 win over Murphysboro High School.

He worked hard as a senior to become a scoring threat in the post as well as outside, shooting over 40 percent from 3-point range in his final high school season.

He said in a separate interview with the Herald that his work ethic is one of the best attributes he has.

“My strongest part about my game is my hustle,” Alcantara said. “Nobody is going to outwork me on the court.”

So it should be no surprise to fans that after he makes his big announcement Tuesday, Alcantara said he’s headed straight to practice. 

“It’s going to be an epic day,” he said. “But I’m still going to get a hard practice in.”

Alcantara said his family members have been offering him valuable advice as the time for his decision approaches.

“They’ve been telling me to be patient, don’t worry too much,” he said. “They want me to go where I’m the most wanted and where I feel most comfortable.”

In other recruiting news, Brendan Quinn of Nooga.com reported that UConn transfer Michael Bradley won’t be making his announcement until at least after the 6-foot-10 center is finished with his finals. 

But all signs still point to WKU as Bradley’s likely destination, according to Quinn.

“Still a WKU lean,” Quinn said.

WKU has already received one commitment during the spring signing period — guard Brandon Harris, who signed his National Letter of Intent on April 18.

Should Alcantara and Bradley choose WKU, they would fulfill the final two scholarships that Head Coach Ray Harper has available.