‘Rip the Runway’ achieves success

A model adds a last-second coat of lipstick using the reflection in a pair of sunglasses before taking the stage during the Black Student Alliance’s Rip the Runway in the DUC auditorium Friday. A series of men’s and women’s styles following various themes for the spring and summer seasons were put on display at the annual event.

Chela Counts

After two months of hard work and practice in preparation for this year’s “Hollywood on the Hill” themed “Rip the Runway” fashion show, spectators and coordinators alike agree that the event was a success.

“The show turned out well,” Louisville senior Joia Talbott said. “It started off kind of hectic at first, but it came together nicely.”

Talbott, who appeared on BET’s nationally televised “Rip the Runway,” assisted in Black Student Alliance’s own version at WKU.

Students, family and friends arrived early Friday evening for a show that featured models in eight scenes total. At around 6 p.m., the Downing University Center Auditorium started to fill up, and spectators displayed their own styles and fashions while posing on the red carpet.

The show began with a moment of silence and tribute to Trayvon Martin, an unarmed Florida teen who was killed by a neighborhood watch captain after walking to a convenience store. Martin’s death has recently made national headlines due to allegations of racism and claims of self defense.

Models wore different color hoodies to commemorate Martin’s death. Martin was wearing a hoodie when he was shot.

Immediately after, Nashville junior Mariah Tibbs sang the Black National Anthem and Chris Brown’s “Turn up the Music,” got the crowd going for the first scene.

Tracey Gibbs, a Texas native who now lives in Nashville, drove to see her cousin Nashville sophomore Michelle Lynum in the show.

“So far the show is exciting, and I like the energy,” Gibbs said. “They’re bringing it, and everybody’s getting it.”

The three hosts kept the crowd engaged with their jokes and crowd involvement.

Louisville sophomore Takela Brent played a huge part in the excitement for the night when she was brought on stage to teach host Louisville senior Christa Walker the moves to “Beef it Up” — a dance that originated in Atlanta.

Brent also participated in a University of Kentucky vs. University of Louisville battle for who would advance into the NCAA’s basketball championship.

“I love being in the spotlight, which is why I’m trying to go into broadcast, TV, radio, and I just like to show people a good time,” Brent said. “Everybody doesn’t have the motivation to get up and do what I did, so I just like stepping out of the box.”

Overall, coordinator and Louisville senior Candice Adams was proud.

“I think the show turned out great, and it was one of the best shows that we’ve had,” Adams said. “I think I really pulled off everything that I wanted — the red carpet event and the show turned out good, so I think whoever does it next year has big shoes to fill.”