EDITORIAL: Greek philanthropy deserves praise

Herald Staff

The Issue: Although Greek Week is more than two weeks away, many Greek organizations at WKU are making their service presence known as they have hosted different philanthropy events during the last month.

OUR STANCE: The Herald believes service to be a great thing, and we commend the Greek organizations around campus for not only doing service but also doing it in a big way. 

Mention the word “Greek” to some college students and it may conjure up images of the one-dimensional characters they’ve been portrayed as on TV shows and movies. 

The stereotypical men in togas drinking from kegs and ditzy sorority girls have become an unfortunate staple in the minds of many college students as well as students who don’t attend college.

However, the past few weeks have seen many Greeks at WKU go against the grain and do huge philanthropy events for the Bowling Green community and organizations across the country that have turned out to be successful, both in attendance and finances.

Last week’s Unity Step-Off raised more than $3,700 for the March of the Dimes. Phi Gamma Delta, or Fiji, had a Spring Luau for the Bowling Green Family Enrichment Center that raised more than $1,000. Omega Phi Alpha’s St. Baldrick’s event raised $10,000 for the foundation. The Kappa Delta Shamrock Shootout raised more than $20,000 for the Enrichment Center. Up ’til Dawn raised more than $67,000. And if Sigma Chi’s annual Fight Night ever gets approved, it could raise more than $15,000 for cancer research. 

Philanthropy around campus has even made national waves.

The Interfraternity Council recently hosted Walk a Mile in Her Shoes to raise awareness for violence against women, and the event gained national attention by being picked up by the Huffington Post.

This event is notable because it was more than just playing a sport or performing — the men walked a mile in red high heels, which put them in a position that, while funny, made an important statement about violence against women. 

The Greek organizations on campus have shown what an impact a group of people can make when they work collectively, and they have realized there is strength in numbers. 

One can conclude that the reason Greek philanthropy has been so successful is because the organizations are not only attending their own events but also because the organizations support each other. When there is such a large network across campus, it makes it hard to fail.

The best part is that there are many more philanthropy events coming up with the chance to do more good and raise more money.

While it’s easy to point out and criticize the mistakes and incidents that the Greeks have had over the years (rush week violations, hazing, etc.), it’s also important to recognize the hard work and effort it takes to come up with and plan philanthropy events. 

With that, the Herald commends the Greek organizations that are doing good across campus.

This editorial represents the majority opinion of the Herald’s 10-member editorial board.