Applewhite, UConn transfer Bradley visit WKU

Jordan Wells

Andre Applewhite, a 6-foot-4 guard from Memphis, Tenn., was one of a few visitors on WKU’s campus this weekend.

The senior averaged 24 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and 2.5 steals a game in his final season for Central High School.

“I really enjoyed getting to know both the coaches and players,” Applewhite said. “And the campus was really clean — it was great.”

Applewhite is still deciding between several schools, including Tennessee, South Carolina, South Florida, Mississippi State, Missouri State and Tennesee-Martin, with every school except Mississippi State already offering scholarships.

He said he bonded especially well with rising sophomores George Fant, T.J. Price and Spence Sheldon.

“I’ve known George since high school AAU days. He’s really competitive like me,” Applewhite said.  “T.J. and Spence also helped him show me the ropes. They were hilarious.”

Applewhite said he doesn’t have a timetable set for his final decision, but the biggest factor in his final decision will be having a good feel for the coaches, players and fans at the school.

“I want to go somewhere where I can compete for a national championship,” he said.

Michael Bradley, a 6-foot-10 transfer from Connecticut, joined Applewhite on campus during the April 13-15 weekend.

The Chattanooga, Tenn., native told the Herald he had no exact list yet of specific schools he’s looking at but said he feels “very high” on WKU.

Per NCAA bylaws, Bradley can apply for a hardship waiver from the NCAA for his transfer because of his grandmother’s health, which, if granted, means he would be eligible to play immediately.

Bradley, a Rivals.com three-star recruit in high school, chose UConn as a high school senior over offers from Georgia, Drake, and Virginia Commonwealth.

WKU recruit Darrell Combs, a senior from Thornwood High School in South Holland, Ill., told the Herald earlier in the month that his college decision was down to WKU or Cleveland State, adding he wouldn’t make his decision until sometime after he visited Cleveland State on the weekend of April 13-15.

However, Combs told the Herald Sunday afternoon that he never made it to Cleveland State’s campus, for unspecified reasons.

Combs is still unsure on an exact date for his final decision but said “at this point, WKU is winning.”