KD, Fiji to host philanthropy events this weekend

Hayley Hilbert

Members of WKU Greek life plan on giving back to the community this weekend as Kappa Delta sorority hosts its 10th annual Shamrock Shootout, and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) fraternity hosts its Bowling Green Spring Luau.

KD’s Shamrock Shootout, a five-on-five basketball tournament consisting of 60 teams, will take place Saturday and Sunday at the Preston Center. The event begins at 9 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. on Sunday.

All proceeds will go to Family Enrichment Center in Bowling Green and Prevent Child Abuse America, said Glasgow sophomore Taylor Emberton, who serves as a chair for the event.

Last year, the KDs raised $25,000, but they’re hoping to raise even more this year, Emberton said.

Louisville freshman Elise Gibson is excited to give back to the community through the event.

“I think it’s important because it is a great cause,” Gibson said. “Being from a very fortunate situation and home myself, I want to give back to kids who may not have that.”

Emberton said anyone is welcome and encouraged to come watch the tournament, even if they aren’t playing on a team.

On the same note, FIJI is branching out into the community with their Bowling Green Spring Luau.

The luau will take place at Bowling Green High School on Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m. The event is open to all and will include inflatables, face painting, an appearance by Big Red and live music all day, said Louisville freshman Kyle Stewart,  who serves as FIJI philanthropy chair.

Stewart said proceeds will go to Bowling Green Independent School Family Resource Center, which is a branch of the city school district that provides services to underprivileged students.

“The organization helps with things like sending students home with meals or helping students pay band or intramural sports fees,” Stewart said.