More than 50 employers to be at WKU career fair

ShelRogers

WKU students have an opportunity to expand their career options this week.

Career Services Center is hosting its annual Spring Job Fair tomorrow in the Preston Center. Graduating seniors can attend the fair by invitation only from 11 a.m. to noon. There will be an open session for all other students from noon to 3 p.m.

“Transitioning from college to career can be challenging, so let us help make it easier for you,” Rebecca Tinker, the center’s associate director, said in the event’s press release.

Career Services recommends that all guests dress in “business professional” attire for the event, and have resumes ready to hand to potential employers. In the press release, Career Services Center calls it “the most important career-related networking event of the spring semester.”

Robert Unseld, Career Services Center’s other associate director, stressed the importance of “branding yourself.”

“In today’s job market, it’s all about face time, which is what makes this Job Fair so beneficial,” Unseld said in the press release. “It allows our students and alumni the chance to network with potential employers and get their name out there. Your name is your brand — so brand it well!”

Marion, Ky. senior Megan Heady, a public relations major, said that career fairs are important for students to attend, even if they don’t have a specific employer in mind.

“These job fairs are really beneficial, even if your desired employer isn’t there,” she said. “It still helps you get face time and gets you out of your shell.”

Currently, Career Services Center website lists more than 50 employers who will be represented at the job fair, including Fruit of the Loom, Bellarmine University, Bluegrass Cellular and Frito Lay Inc.

Career Services Center also coordinates an annual Fall Career Expo and assists with resume building.