BSA to host ‘Hollywood on the Hill’ fashion show

Chela Counts

Those that attended last year’s “Rip the Runway” in Garrett Conference Center may remember that the models did not steal the show — a bat did.

This year, Lawrence Norfleet, president of Black Student Alliance, promises audience members two things.

“I can promise we will have a different venue so there won’t be a bat coming in this time, and a show that’s riveting,” he said.

As BSA celebrates its 40th anniversary, it will be the organization’s seventh year hosting the show. One of BSA’s many missions on campus is to unite the black community while also representing the black student population to university administration.

Casey Hopson, a member serving on the executive board of BSA, said BSA has done many things in honor of their big year.

“We’ve been having different forums all semester long and we spread the word through word of mouth, Facebook, Twitter and we specifically made a Facebook page for the 40th,” Hopson said.

Overall, Hopson said she thinks this year’s show will be great.

“The models are very excited, and when they are excited, they show out their enthusiasm and that’s what makes the show great…they are dedicated and also here to just have fun.”

But the dedication hasn’t just come from the models. Senior coordinator Candice Adams has stayed persistent in her efforts to make a great show since the fall.

“We have been preparing for the show since last September, October,” she said. “We had tryouts last November and once we came back from Christmas Break we began practice February 7.”

Although Adams has had no previous experience in modeling or fashion, this will be her second year coordinating the event.

“Modeling is not what I do, but I do like to organize things,” she said.

For every fashion show there must be a theme, scenes, music and fashion designers. This show will have all of those, including a red carpet before the event.

“The theme for this year is ‘Hollywood on the Hill,’ and we wanted to do something new so we knew we had to have a red carpet,” Adams said.

With eight scenes total, those in attendance will be “wowed” by the fashions seniors Jordan Pitney, Raemia Higgins, Cheryl Williamson, Jantelle McNeil and junior Marquise Scott designed.

Proceeds for this event will go to BSA and breast cancer awareness. Red carpet events will begin at 6 p.m. Friday in Downing University Center with the auditorium doors opening at 7 p.m. and the show starting at 7:30 p.m.