SGA cancels Tuesday night meeting to host viewing party for NCAA game

Taylor Harrison

Students who won’t be able to make it to the WKU vs. Mississippi State University game in Dayton tomorrow will still have the chance to watch it with other Hilltopper fans.

The Student Government Association is hosting a viewing of the game in the Mass Media and Technology Hall Auditorium. SGA plans for the doors to open at 5:00 p.m., with the game beginning at 5:30 p.m. The viewing will be open to all students.

SGA planned for food and drinks to be available at the viewing.

Executive Vice President Kendrick Bryan and Cory Dodds, director of information technology, said that originally SGA hoped to pass out tickets to the game to students on campus. However, Bryan said this wasn’t feasible since the tickets aren’t actually on WKU’s campus. Tickets for the game are going through Ticketmaster at the University of Dayton. In order to pass out tickets, SGA would have had to work out of the hotel in Dayton.

“Distribution was the main setback,” Bryan said.

“We still wanted to do something for students that couldn’t go to Dayton to watch the game and so this is what we came up this,” Dodds said.

Dodds also said that should the Hilltoppers win tomorrow, SGA will host another viewing on Thursday for the game against the University of Kentucky, if WKU advances to that game.

“There’s a Facebook event that students can RSVP to and we hope students have their red towels ready,” Bryan said.

SGA’s weekly Tuesday night meeting is cancelled due to the game, said Kaylee Egerer, SGA’s speaker of the senate. There was also a mandatory informational meeting scheduled for Tuesday for students running for SGA office — the meeting has been moved to Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.