“Walk a Mile” raises $1,000 for Hope Harbor

Union County sophomore Coleman West adjusts his high heels Wednesday during the Interfraternity Council’s “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event. Members of several fraternities put on high heels and walked around campus to raise money for gender-violence awareness.

Natalie Hayden

Despite the sounds of moaning in pain, the men of WKU were all smiles after walking a mile around campus in high heels.

The “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event occurred Wednesday morning by the Interfraternity Council to raise awareness for sexual abuse and violence against women, said Bowling Green sophomore Phil Korba, IFC’s activities chair.

“The event is to raise awareness for sexual assault and show women we care,” he said.

The walk began on Normal Street in front of the Chi Omega house and went to the top of the Hill and down Avenue of Champions, cutting through Downing University Center to end in Centennial Mall.

“[Walking in heels is] excruciating, but it felt good to do it for a good cause and to give exposure to female domestic violence,” Alpha Tau Omega junior Larry Lee said.

The walkers paid an entrance fee, which added to donations and sponsorships to raise money for Hope Harbor, a non-profit organization that offers support for women who have faced sexual abuse.

“It’s a real good cause,” said Sturgis sophomore and FarmHouse member Chris Hancock, who participated in the walk and is a member of IFC. “It gets a lot of attention from people for the cause.”

At the end of the walk, IFC president Brian Hartzell presented Hope Harbor with a $1,000 check.

“This is something the whole campus can unite around,” Hartzell said. “Next year we want at least half of the fraternal community walking.”

Hartzell and the other event coordinators urged the men to attend “Take Back the Night,” which is a community-wide walk around Bowling Green to increase awareness about and prevention of violence against women, children, and families.

“Take Back the Night” will take place at 6 p.m. at the Justice Center on March 29.