The Maze explores illusion, faith

Kayla Swanson

Students and the WKU community were led down a “maze” of faith, truth and illusion Tuesday night.

The Maze, featuring Illusionist Jim Munroe, took place in the Van Meter Hall Auditorium on Tuesday night.

The first part of the show featured Munroe performing several psychological illusions. Throughout the event, students were selected at random to assist Munroe with the tricks.

During the second part of the show, which was optional, Munroe shared his personal life story, including his battle with cancer.  

“Life can feel a lot like a maze,” he said. “I know it did for me when I was in college.

“I think that when you come to college that you need to take a second look at everything you claim you think you believe to be true.”

Owensboro freshman Marquis Henderson found out about the show through a friend.

Henderson believed that he was going to a regular magic show, but didn’t realize he would get to be a part of it. He joined Munroe on stage for the night’s final trick.

During the show, Munroe emphasized that life can be an illusion, and Henderson said he’ll remember that the most.

“Don’t believe everything you see and hear,” Henderson said. “You’ve got to read behind the lines sometimes. Some things are more than what they seem to be.”

The event was sponsored by WKU’s Baptist Campus Ministry, with help from Campus Crusade for Christ and the Christian Student Fellowship.

The BCM hosted the event because it thought the show would be a fun thing to bring to WKU, campus minister Tommy Johnson said.

“He challenges us to think about what we base our lives upon,” Johnson said.

Winchester senior Jessica Meibers, outreach coordinator for the BCM, helped organize the event.

After hearing about the show from the BCM staff, Meibers thought the show would bring interest and intrigue to campus.

“I just really wanted people to understand that even though you may be tricked, or you may not understand what you see at first, there’s always something underneath it,” she said. “There’s always a reason for something.”

The number of people who attended also impacted Meibers.

“I love the fact that there were so many people here and interested and that we had standing room only,” she said.

A second show will take place Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. in Van Meter Auditorium.