SGA passes first bill of the semester

Taylor Harrison

The Student Government Association passed its first bill of the semester, an organizational aid bill to provide funding for seven campus organizations.

The bill will allocate $3,500 total. It recommended $500 each to Alpha Tau Omega, Up ‘til Dawn, WKU Chess Club, Public Relations Student Society of America, Sigma Tau Delta, Badminton Club and WKU American Marketing Association.

A bill regarding funding for the Locks of Love Benefit Event on March 20 received its first read Tuesday night. If passed, the bill will provide $420 from general senate funding for the event, which will take place on campus and is being organized by student, Susan Zhou.

Two resolutions also received their first reads — one is to support the right of free speech as pertaining to WKU students, while the other was to support an uncensored and economically free internet. The bill is in opposition of Stop Online Piracy Act, Protect IP Act and Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

SGA elections will be March 27 and 28, with the deadline to apply at March 2. Applications should be available later this week.

Jane Wood, SGA’s previous public relations director, has returned to her position. The public relations committee head position has been filled by Mallory Treece, who was already an SGA senator.

SGA also had a guest speaker at Tuesday’s meeting — Audra Jennings, director of the office of scholar development, came to talk about the purpose of OSD, which is to help students on all of WKU’s campuses and in all majors find and apply for scholarships.

OSD helps students apply for nationally competitive scholarships and create an application that reflect their best qualities.

SGA is currently continuing work on the Hall of Distinguished Seniors and transcript vouchers. The SGA sponsored baseball game is March 25.

At next week’s meeting there will be two presidential appointments of senators and speaker of the senate appointment.