SGA election deadline is March 2

Taylor Harrison

The deadline to apply to run for Student Government Association office is March 2.

The elections will take place on TopNet on March 27-28, and the results will be given at 12:01 a.m. on March 29.

Students will have the chance to vote in all new senators and executive officers, as everyone currently in SGA has to apply again for next semester. In the fall, students had the chance to elect 11 new senators but no executive officers.

Students will get to place 36 votes when choosing senators, and they get one vote each for executive officer positions. The judicial branch will be appointed by the president.

“No one can campaign until March 13,” Cory Dodds, director of information technology, said.

There will be a mandatory informational meeting on March 13. After that, students can campaign.

As per the election codes, a presidential candidate can spend no more than $450 on their campaigns. Executive vice presidents can spend no more than $400, and all other executive cabinet positions can spend $350. All candidates for legislature can spend no more than $50.

Executive Vice President Kendrick Bryan said he, President Billy Stephens and Administrative Vice President Devon Hilderbrandt are not running for re-election, despite all returning as students in the fall.

“I’m probably going to go military over the summer, so I’ll be more focused on that and still be in school,” Stephens said.

Bryan will be an instructor at WKU in the fall, teaching University Experience.

“I guess the big talking point is that it’ll be a completely fresh exec,” Bryan said.