Former U of L commit Wales ready for WKU career

Louisville Central star running back Anthony Wales, Jefferson County’s all-time career leader in rushing yardage, had verbally committed to Louisville on Jan. 16 before signing with WKU on Wednesday. “Growing up, I never dreamed I’d be playing at WKU,” Wales said. “But when the moment finally came, it was so nice to put that WKU hat on. I’ll never forget it.”

Jordan Wells

National Signing Day debates in the state of Kentucky are usually reserved for battles over players between Kentucky and Louisville.

But in 2012, one of the biggest stories of National Signing Day in the Commonwealth was Anthony “Ace” Wales of Louisville Central High School, ranked as the No. 14 all-purpose running back in the nation by Rivals.com.

Wales, Jefferson County’s all-time career leader in rushing yardage, had verbally committed to Louisville on Jan. 16.

But Wales said he was facing pressure from every direction on his decision.

“Most people were telling me to listen to my heart,” he said. “But your heart isn’t always right.”

And on Wednesday afternoon, Wales had officially submitted his letter of intent to play for WKU.

“Growing up, I never dreamed I’d be playing at WKU,” he said. “But when the moment finally came, it was so nice to put that WKU hat on. I’ll never forget it.”

Wales is already setting goals for his Topper career.

He said he wants to join his childhood friends, quarterback DaMarcus Smith, wide receivers Michael Fluellen and Jerrell Moore, and several other WKU additions from the Louisville area, in putting the Toppers on the national map.

“I grew up with all those guys, playing Little League,” Wales said. “Now, we’ve got a chance to push each other and work together, to be our best.”

His roots go especially deep with fellow 2012 signee Tyrone Pearson, a three-star prospect out of Louisville Seneca High School.

Pearson said the two played football together from childhood until their freshman year, when Pearson transferred from Central to Seneca.

“To see us come back together at this kind of stage — the college stage — just feels great,” Pearson said. “We want to be the ones to put WKU on the map.”

Head Coach Willie Taggart said recruiting the best in-state talent, such as Wales, has been a goal during his WKU tenure.

“We want to be able to get those kind of kids to stay not only in-state but be able to come to WKU,” Taggart said. “I think Ace is a tremendous football player, and I think he’ll bring a lot to our football team.”

Individually, Wales said he dreams of playing in the NFL someday.

“I’ll be watching the draft this year, cheering for (former WKU running back) Bobby Rainey,” Wales said. “It’s real exciting for me to watch. I hope someday I’ll be there too.”

Wales said he understands the disappointment of Louisville fans who disagreed with his decision but asks they also understand his point of view.

“I’m the one that wakes up at 5 in the morning to lift weights and work out,” he said. “I had to choose the school that I felt was best for me and my future. In the end, that school was WKU.”

Wales is still recovering from a shoulder injury he suffered his senior season and plans to spend the remainder of his final high school semester working towards rehabilitation. 

Depending on the progress of his rehab, Wales may take a gray shirt from WKU, which would mean he wouldn’t enroll with the school and program until January 2013.

“I don’t want to risk re-injuring the shoulder,” he said. “We’re going to see how rehab goes and go from there.”