COMMENTARY: SGA takes steps to improve campus life

Kendrick Bryan

The Student Government Association is closing the books on this semester, but the student body had a few victories that are worth mentioning. 

Branch members debuted new signature services like Hilltoppers Vote, Student Teach Abroad scholarships and WKU OffCampus. 

In November, SGA gave away T-shirts to raise awareness about the Kentucky general election. Students could bring in their “I voted” stickers to the SGA office and receive the rare shirts. 

SGA also partnered with WKU Athletics and the Campus Activities Board to sponsor a number of events. SGA gave away an Apple TV at a recent volleyball match, and the organization also helped sponsor tailgating activities during the regular season. 

Library development was also an issue branch members championed. SGA donated two iPads to the Educational Resources Center, a video camera to the Technology Resource Center and test prep books to WKU Libraries. 

The student body also benefited from other SGA partnerships. The SGA partnered with Housing & Residence Life to host a Thanksgiving Dinner in Pearce-Ford Tower and the Student Senate is sponsoring extended library hours during Finals Week at WKU Libraries. 

Next semester, branch members hope to continue library development efforts as well as finalize a plan to introduce a safe ride program in 2012. SGA and Parking & Transportation suspended the Provide-A-Ride program earlier this academic year. 

Branch members will also continue to lobby in Frankfort for higher education. 

SGA may be located in the Garrett Conference Center next semester, but branch members will continue to address campus concerns.

Kendrick Bryan

WKU Student Body Vice President

This commentary doesn’t necessarily represent the views of the Herald or the university.