Joint admissions increase WKU’s enrollment, ease student transition

Joanna Williams

Joint admissions agreements don’t appear to be slowing down for WKU any time in the near future.

Brian Meredith, associate vice president of Enrollment Management, said the university is open to more joint admissions agreements and there is no cutoff planned.

WKU currently has joint admissions with six of the 16 colleges that make up the Kentucky Community and Technical College System.

WKU’s joint admissions agreements currently include: Owensboro Community and Technical College, Madisonville Community College, Henderson Community College, Hopkinsville Community College, Bowling Green Technical College, and most recently, Elizabethtown Community and Technical College.

“We would be more open to joint admission agreements with two year schools,” he said. “I think joint admission has helped us to reach our historic number this semester.”

In October it was announced that WKU had achieved a record-setting figure of more than 21,000 students enrolled.

Joint admissions allow a student to enroll at both WKU and a community college. The student will complete their first two years at the community college while receiving an advisor from WKU and many of the services WKU students receive. After they have completed two years, they are able to enroll at WKU and complete their degree.

These agreements also translate to WKU’s regional campuses.

Gene Tice, director of WKU-Owensboro, said that of the 1,200 students that attend WKU-Owensboro, more than 300 are joint admission.

Students are able to begin at OCTC and continue into WKU-Owensboro, eventually graduating with a degree, Tice said.

“You have people who complete a bachelor’s degree never having set foot on the Bowling Green campus,” he said.

Meredith said the university is in the process of contacting another two-year community college, but it is in the preliminary stage and nothing is official at this stage.

Meredith said the time it takes to create an agreement for each school is different and does not follow the same timetable.

“It depends on each institution,” he said. “It could take anywhere from a few months to an entire semester.”

Meredith said January 2012 could possibly bring news of new agreements with another two-year school.

Overall, joint-admissions is about making the student transferring process less stressful, he said.

“It just helps the student make an easier transition from a two-year institution to a four-year institution,” Meredith said. “The whole philosophy is to make it an easier transition.”